Tuesday, March 13, 2018

PROFILES OF COURAGE!!!



Over the next several weeks we are going to be highlighting the men and women who are the "hands and feet" of Mission Mbale in Uganda!  These are those who have dedicated their lives to bringing a future and a hope to the children who struggle daily to survive the cruelty of life that is their constant companion as they grow up in the Namatala Slum in Mbale, Uganda.

Today we are going to start the "Profiles of Courage" series by introducing you to Joseph Mabonga, the Children's Minister and Child Sponsorship Officer at Ebenezer Baptist Church.  Joseph and his wife Mercy have three children, the latest, a boy named Azariah Jireh Enock, was born this week and is joining his older brother Zion and sister Shalom in this awesome family that is dedicated to serving the Lord!

If you are one of our Child Sponsors then you are familiar with what Joseph does ... he is the one who writes the profiles, takes the pictures of the many activities that your sponsored child is involved in, and he works long hours to provide the personal letters and cards that you receive from your children.  He is a very crucial link for Mary Faye and I as we strive to keep you, the sponsors of these precious children, up to date on their well-being and activities.  God bless each of you for what you do for your special Ugandan child!

We hope you enjoy these "Profiles In Courage".

My life story ------ Joseph Mabonga (Child Sponsorship Officer)

I am Joseph Mabonga, born on 14th June, 1986. My father was a Kenyan while my mum was a Ugandan. My mother produced 2 boys and 1 girl with each child having his/her own father; and I was the last born. Because of so many struggles, while my parents were in Kenya, they decided to bring me to Uganda to my grandmother when I was 5 years of age.

We lived a miserable life with my grandmother and I had no hope of going to school. Together with my grandmother we used to survive on doing manual labour in other people’s gardens to be given a daily meal. In 1994, the village well-wishers helped me go to school. In 1997 my mother died and my father also died in the following year. When I became a total orphan God caused one of the charity organizations who came to our village and they got for me full sponsorship and I gained hope from that time.

In August, 2003 in my second year in high school I got an accident and I underwent surgery after breaking the hand. December 2003 is when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior after the preacher sharing from Mark 8:36: For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  

In 2006, my grandmother died and as a result I had nowhere to stay. That’s when one of the pastors in Baptist Churches in town picked me to stay with him while my education sponsorship was still continuing. God helped me and in 2015 I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration majoring in Accounting.

God is graciously using Ebenezer Baptist Church in partnership with Mission Mbale in Namatala slum to preach the gospel of our Lord in words and deeds. God is touching one child at a time and children who were hopeless now have the joy and the purpose to live. Children are fed, provided with clothing, beddings, medication and above all preached to the message of salvation of our Lord Jesus Christ.  With my background, I know what it means to be sponsored for I look back and appreciate the love and support of the sponsorship I received. I would love after 10-20 years from now, that our sponsored children can also testify like me.

To God be the Glory!

Joseph Mabonga

Children’s Minister and Child Sponsorship Officer, Ebenezer Baptist Church

No comments:

Post a Comment