Thursday, July 28, 2016

Wednesday, July 27th - Darkness is Not Dark to You

For our team, this week in Uganda has been a wild ride of emotional highs and lows.  We have delighted in meeting new people, rejoiced with them for the goodness of God and for those who have accepted salvation, we have laughed and shared stories, meals, and encouraging words.  But we have mourned for what we have witnessed as well, people suffering for lack of basic human necessities, orphaned children left to wander the trash and animal filled streets.  We have been humbled by the strength and resolve, by love and joy overflowing the walls of Ebenezer Church because of the great faith of His people here.  Truly, we have ascended to heaven and we have made our bed in Sheol…  We’ve clung truth of God's word in Psalms, “even the darkness is not dark to You.” Psalm 139:12

Every afternoon at our crusade, I have held the hand of a little boy named Felix. I didn’t get his picture, but I will not forget his face.  I think he is the same age as my daughter and very soft spoken. Outside of knowing his name and his beautiful smile, I don’t really know much about him.  He hasn’t said much.  But last night, he signaled for me to come close so that he speak to me.  I bent down and he whispered in my ear, “I want to leave Africa and go with you.”  I know this can be a common sentiment from children here, but not for Felix.  I sensed that it took great courage for him to speak any words but especially these words to me.  I was crushed at the thought of saying no (oh, how I wish I could say yes!), but thankfully the Lord gave me words to respond.  “Felix, I cannot take you home with me.  You have a very important job to do in Uganda.  I need you to stay and tell everyone here about the love of Jesus.  If you’ll do that, then I will come back and visit you as much as the Lord allows.”  After the crusade, we walked back to the church and said our goodbyes.  And from the backseat of the car, comforted by Cathy and Kenya, I sat there in the darkness and sobbed.  We have made promises to each other, and I can’t bear the thought that they become only empty words.  Oh Lord please don’t let it be so. 


Pray for our team as we say farewell to our Ugandan friends and family.  And pray for and be patient with us as we return to you and discover that life has somehow changed after what we have witnessed.  Pray for the people of Ebenezer Baptist Church (they are praying for you daily) and pray for Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment